A binomial pair is an expression containing two words which are joined by a conjunction (usually “and” or “or”). The word order of a binomial pair is usually fixed. Below is the list of most common binomial in English you should learn.
Common Binomials Expressions in English
1. Bits and pieces - small individual things
2. By and large - generally
3. Give or take - approximately
4. Hustle and bustle -a lot of noisy activity
5. Null and Void - with no legal effect
6. On and off - sometimes but not regularly
7. Part and parcel - to be an aspect of something that has to be accepted
8. High and dry - to let sb down
9. Pros and cons - the positive and negative aspects
10. Safe and sound - free from danger or injury
11. Short and sweet - efficiently brief in duration
12. Neat and tidy - clean and tidy
13. Sick and tired - fed up
14. Back and forth - going from one place or position to another and back again.
15. Far and wide - nearly everywhere
16. Skin and bones - very thin
17.Odds and ends - small things that are all different and not valuable or important
18. Willy-nilly - it happens whether you want it to or not
19. Tit for tats - revenge
20. Short and sweet - brief and fast
21. Prime and Proper - having very traditional, morally conservative beliefs and behavior
22. Wear and tear - the changes or damage happened when sth has been used
23. Ups and downs - highs and lows.
24. Little by little - step by step
25. Spick and span - very clean; “like new”.
26. Nuts and bolts - the basic details of a job or activity
27. Ins and outs - all the details or facts
28. Do’s and don’ts - what you should and should not do in a particular situation
29. Live and learn - learn from the experiences that life gives us
30. Leaps and bounds - Very large degrees of or rapid progress forward