Watch and learn with the School of Life
Advanced Level - C1
1. accord = grant
2. backdrop = everything that you can see behind the main thing you are looking at
3. bitter = hard, severe
4. bombast = arrogant, pompous
5. bravado = boast, bravery
7. certainty = fact, truth
8. concern = worry
11. daunting message = discouraging,
12. dear = expensive
15. distinctive angle = special point
16. dowdy = shabby, old-fashion
17. dutiful = obedient
19. foe = enemy, rival
20. frailty = weakness
21. gut instinct
22. haunting voices
23. invariably = constantly
24. juggle with
26. mean = nasty
28. oblique = implied
29. oblivion = unconsciousness
30. perverse = ill-mannered, contrary
31. presumption = assumption, belief
32. rehash = repeat
33. rush headlong into sth = to start doing something with a lot of enthusiasm but without thinking about it first
37. tackle a challenge = take on, deal with
39. unfeasible = impossible
40. unfold = reveal, open
Complete the sentences with correct words.
dear , emerges , lack , headlong, dowdy, sufficient, bombast, frailties, unfeasibly, foes, submit, presumption, accord, self-deception, conventions, dutiful, rehash, tackle, unfolding, daunting
1. However, we seldom ____________ to the business of decision-making the kind of careful attention it requires.
2. When faced with a large decision we ____________ rituals and procedures.
3. We typically procrastinate, lean on the nearest person or rush ____________ into an unexamined solution.
4. The chief enemy of good decisions is a lack of ____________ perspectives on a problem
5. A tolerable way forward gradually ____________ from the present confusion.
6. Our enemies know our ____________ and they actively want the worst for us.
7. It can be ____________ hard to be a true friend to ourselves in the way we should be.
8. Were so much better at getting into the heads of bitterest ____________.
9. It is pushing us into some crazy moments for which we paid____________ .
10. Then ____________ its stubborn and impatient certainties to gentle rational cross-examination.
11. All our decisions are ____________ in the backdrop of a giant ticking death clock.
12. We should take its ____________ messages to heart.
13. Death may lend us a perverse new sort of confidence to ____________ challenges.
14. It wears____________ clothes and speaks quietly.
15. It certainly lacks glamour in an age of bravado and ____________.
16. Most future relationships will merely ____________ the themes of the current unsatisfactory one.
17. From an early age we've learned how to do the ____________ expected things.
18. There’s a risk of being overly-faithful for too long to ____________.
19. Sometimes caution is just weakness and cowardice wrapped up in the cloak of ____________.
20. Courage and caution need to fight this one out without any____________ of victory on either side.