English Advanced Vocabulary for thinking and reasoning.
Practice advanced vocabulary for CAE, CPE and IELTS exam.
Replace words in bold with the correct synonyms.
deduction x2, deliberate, assume, assess, baffle, deduce
1. The committee is estimating the applicant's intellectual strength judgment and creativity.
2. I suppose everyone here has an email address.
3. She was completely shocked by his strange behaviour.
4. I figured out from her disinterested tone that she wouldn't be joining us today.
5. New tax regulations would cut the write-off for business lunches.
6. Sherlock Holmes was famous for making clever assumptions.
7. The jury contemplated for six hours before reaching its verdict.
hunch, grasp, gather, dubious, faith, guesswork
1. I find it difficult to understand the rules of the football game.
2. From what I can find, John is head over heels in love with our neighbour.
3. I'm uncertain about his promises to stop drinking.
4. These claims are arguable and not scientifically proven.
5. I don’t have the faintest idea. All this is pure feeling.
6. If you find it difficult to decide, follow your instinct.